|"Weaverbird" © Corina Duyn 2013|
15cm x 22.5 cm
Well I did it, after starting my latest weaving project just over a year ago, I finished it (minus the right hem).
The first half, which was the weaving of the birdsnest and bird, went relatively fast, well no weaving is fast, but there was a steady growing of the nest, if you get my drift. Then, I got scared. How on earth do I weave an eye, with a bill of the bird in front of it with only a few warp threads to do it with?
For months the frame stood beside my chair and all I could do was look at it, occasionally I ventured as far as picking it up, and look at it some more, before putting it back again.
The weaving of this small detail was too much to comprehend.
Why oh why do I come up with such difficult designs?
About six weeks ago I picked up my work again and took the very brave step to just do it. Weave the eye. This was followed by a bit of a 'research': how long can one weave without having to attempt the second eye? As it turned out, quite a long time!
And suddenly it was done. It literally took me by surprise when I reached the edge.
Last Friday I had a 'cutting off party', as the moment of cutting a tapestry of a frame is affectionately called. My ex-weaving-teacher Pascale reminded me how to do a hem... I let her work away... until one side was done. I tried my best to make the second hem as good as hers but failed, hence the half finished side. It will have to wait for her capable hands to finish this year-long project for real.
Of course I am already working on a design for the next one... a poppy... (as it turns out, not any easier) Watch this space, but please don't hold your breath!
By the way, if you'd like to know more about the weaverbird which inspired this tapestry, please see here.
ps... As always it is lovely to know that you stopped by
to read my musing and follow my creative adventures.
Many thanks & Lots of love Corina