Thursday, July 23, 2015

Another Step Completed




Creating a project like Into the Light has many, many steps.

The concept started three years ago during Disability Studies. Followed by two years of reading, compiling notes, and exploring ways to find a way to share what I wanted to get across about life with illness. Life in general. During the past year I have been writing - creating - editing - asking for permissions - picking images - decided on the box design and weight of pages, all for the creation of the pages of this book-in-a-box. All with huge practical and moral support. 
Crowd funding was another step along the way. This campaign was supported by  John, whom I worked with twenty years ago on an animation series. He saw the need to raise funds and ‘get the word out’. John got me in touch with Brendan, who has been immensely helpful throughout the whole campaign. A Big Thank You to both. I would not have stepped into this adventure without you.
The campaign had many challenges, but has also been hugely rewarding. The support from all those who funded the project- either through Fund It, or through other means. Those who shared my story on social media- those who invited me to do interviews for radio and newspapers. Those who wished me well in person. 
Even during my week in hospital, the support from fellow patients and doctors, for my work was amazing. My goodness. 
Thank You. Each and Every One of You!
Of course, this is not where the story ends.
Friday I was handed the first proofs of the pages. Some need a little work, but that is what proofs are for. To get it absolutely right for the final print.
In August the pages will be printed. The boxes will be made.
The book will be launched in September.
Sunday 6th September at Dzogchen Beara, at the Dechen Shying Care Centre (West Cork) where the book in its current format was conceived.
Thursday 24th September at Lismore Library (Co. Waterford) which includes an exhibition of my works. And several illustrated talks during the month. More about these events later.
For those of you who ordered a book in advance, there is nothing better that The Real Thing. Holding the wooden or linen box in your hand. Hearing the sound while opening it. Being greeting by images of art or nature. Taking in the shared words. Maybe one page is enough for one day. Maybe you’d like to read more. 
Missed the Crowd Funding deadline?
Into the Light can be pre-ordered via my shop 

Orders placed before 15 August will be posted free of charge.



Your book will either be ready for collection at one of the launches, or will be posted out to you if you are unable to travel to Ireland.
The pledged artworks will be - with your permission - included in the exhibition. Thank you.
A big thank you again for having joined me -  and I hope to continue to join me - on this journey Into the Light.


With my deepest gratitude
Corina

Stay up to date with progress on my Facebook page

supported by 





No comments: