Monday, November 28, 2016

Waterford Crystal, a blast from the past

A little bit of history...
Some images of the making of the Waterford Crystal Folk in 1997/8. This project came up during the interview at Tramore Local Radio last week. (about 14 minutes in)

The making of the Waterford Crystal Folks in 1997 Photo by Frank Miller- Irish Times
The making of the Waterford Crystal Folks in 1997
Photo by Frank Miller- Irish Times
My biggest and also last Corporate commissions before I got ill in 1998, was for Waterford Crystal. I re-created the workers and their skills in miniature. The Dolls were about 30cm height.

During this time I was given access to all the different parts of the factory. From the glass blowers, the woman at the kiln, the cutters, the packers. My then partner and I made the machines and tools all to scale.
The Waterford Crystal artists made me a set of all the stages of glass in scale with the dolls.

one of the Waterford Crystal glass  made to scale of the Corina Duyn's dolls.
one of the Waterford Crystal cut glass
made to scale of the dolls.
A huge project. All very exciting. 

It was displayed in the visitor centre for a few years.

Full display of my Waterford Crystal workers at the visitor centre in the late '90's

article in Crystal Clear about the project 
article in Crystal Clear about the project 
When it was dismantled before the closing down of the factory, I was given back the dolls.
Unfortunatelly, most of the glass went 'missing', apart from the one piece I have.

I have a three of the ex-Waterford Crystal workers in my studio -  now reading the newspapers or playing music, one of them still wearing it's protective clothing.

The three men Have moved to another home in Waterford, the woman now lives in Kerry! The others workers, I think, are enjoying retirement in County Westmeath.

Waterford Crystal  ex-workers Contact

No comments: