Friday, August 25, 2017

A short adventure to Owennashad River in Lismore

photograph of remaining seeds on a dandelion. photo by Corina Duyn
Beautiful dying dandelion
I had friends over from Holland last week, I wanted to show them Lismore strand (Owennashad River). Of course stopping off at the bridge over the Blackwater to take photos of them and Lismore castle. 
My mobility scooter just about fits on the bridge's sidewalk, although it requires some nerve wrecking manoeuvring to not tumble of the sidewalk onto the road.

Getting to the Strand, my objective, was even more challenging. But fun. 
As staying on the road seemed a bit dangerous, I managed to get up on the sidewalk over the second bridge, but halfway down, it proved to be just a little too narrow to pass the lamppost. I could not reverse, too narrow to take that change, so I got off my scooter. Annemieke handed me my sticks, Marga and Hanna manually manoeuvred the scooter carefully around the lamppost. Must have been an interesting sight!

Anyway, we did make it to the Owennashad river, which runs alongside the Blackwater. In the summer time part of the river is dug out to make it into a pool. A beautiful spot. But unfortunately rather inaccessibly by wheelchair/scooter due to the beautiful roots of the ancient trees. My friends did walk down, and I had some glorious time sitting by the 'peddling pool' part of the river.
while my friends walked further to
Lismore Strand...

I looked at the flowers and grasses around me, like the dying dandelions. And Truly, I am mesmerized how beautiful they are.
photograph of remaining seeds on a dandelion. photo by Corina Duyn
Dandelion seed head. Just beautiful

photograph of closed seed head of a dandelion. photo by Corina Duyn
Dandelion
photograph of closed dandelion with few remaining yellow petles. photo by Corina Duyn
Dandelion
Grey wagtail over Owennashad River in Lismore, photo by Corina Duyn
Grey Wagtail on the river
I spotted a grey wagtail over the river too, and watched the water move over the rocks. 
The dance of nature.
Grey wagtail over Owennashad River in Lismore, photo by Corina Duyn
Grey Wagtail on the river
Towards Lismore strand
bridge over Owennashad River 
autumn starting already
Yes, I would have liked to walk the pathway, but I was ever to pleased to be at the water's edge. Surrounded by nature.
And having the company of friends!


2 comments:

Therese Doherty said...

Beautiful photos.

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you Therese.

I just love this beautiful wonders of nature. I think having the (forced) time to explore, to sit, and look, can be so worth while.
I certainly was in awe.