Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Two puppets, made by my students, portraying huge individuality.

Well, Louise and Pascale finished their puppets!
(Jackie, was unable to join us, so images of her puppet later).

Dedication!
The two puppet makers were in my studio for over 6 hours,
to work on the final stages of their puppets.
Adding hair, hat, paint, strings, and hang on crosses.
Both these puppets came together in the end through team effort.
Beautiful.

I was in the studio on and off, and felt like a proud "Granny"
to see both puppets being walked into my house.
Their first steps into our world.



The finished puppets by
Louise Clarke and Pascale De Coninck
Both will add more to their work.
Louise's tree-lady, will be accompanied by a tree, of which the branches will move the puppet. Hopefully another collaboration with artist Dominic Fee.
Pascale's Puppet will be holding - and using- a bow and arrow. The mechanism to make this work, will have to be figured out after the bow and arrow are made.
But for now, these puppets are sharing their beauty, their individuality with us all.

What an amazing journey it was!

Thank you Louise, Pascale and Jackie for allowing me to be your guide.

I will write another post when the puppets are fully finished, as well as updates on Jackie's and Greg's Puppets. 
The distant learning class is continuing, and alway open to new students. Contact me to hear more about this. And the next studio class is starting at the end of November. Fully booked, but if you are interested in a course during 2018. Please contact me.

So beautiful!
Proud Mammies

Final touches
Beauty does not come without pain...
This is how my studio looked when I left for a rest

My amazing students cleared up the studio
after finishing their class. What a lovely surprise.
Both proud mammies brought in their 'newborns'
(as Anne Palmer called them.
Anne made a Japanese Dancer in my studio)
to show me, while I rested on the couch.

On another exciting note:
  • The Life Outside the Box puppet film will be screened at the Together! Festival of Disability Arts in London on the 9th December. Read about it HERE
  • And I have been invited to give a talk, and be part of a panel about puppetry, disability and health, at the Nottingham Puppetry Festival, in March of next year. And at the Puppet Power festival in Calgary, Canada in June.  Who knows!

2 comments:

Holy Way said...

Well done Corina, you have so much wisdom and experience to share about the enchanting, transformative craft of puppet making, both on a deep personal level and as a teacher. I have gained immeasureably through your supportive, loving process, overcoming fears and difficulties, transcending all stuckness to be pretty close now to bringing my 'Johnny Toes' , who began as a lump of clay, to guitar-playing, dancing singing , long-haired life! I can't believe it. Just wait untill you see the video!

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you Greg,
your response bring on the goosebumps of gratitude.
Thank you. And i look forward to seeing Johny Toes play his guitar!