October 2021 - further edits 13 February 2023
Online Puppet making course with Artist and Puppet Designer Corina Duyn. After more than 50 years of learning and three decades of teaching, Corina is no longer able to create puppets, or teach. However she made the decision to share all the very detailed course instructions publicly via 2.5 hours of Youtube videos, and four online books with in total 85 pages with step-by-step written and photographic instructions books (ISSUU). These are for both basic and more advanced puppets. Learn how to sculpt a clay head, hands and feet for a puppet with DAS self hardening clay. How to make a wooden or cloth puppet body, assembling instructions, and suggestions on painting, and dressing/hair. As well as two cross samples, how to string up your puppet and animate it. Sculpting instruction also applicable to create a doll, or bust.
Please note that all the material was created during a time Corina was still teaching, so any comments to ‘get in touch’ is no longer applicable. It course is for your personal use only. Having followed this course does not mean you can teach this course using my material. Thank you for your understanding.
I hope you will enjoy embarking on this creative adventure. When your puppet is complete I love to see images of it. With every best creative wish.
Corina Duyn 2019/2023 Corina Duyn © 2019 www.corinaduyn.com
Course access made public October 2021 - further edits February 2023.
For links to more of my work in puppetry see: Puppetry webpage, or explore the many articles and images on this blog, including: 50 minute video lecture on the Power of the Puppet is available on HERE And See summary of my work in “23 year long creative history of living with M.E.”
Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingonlittlewings
COURSE DETAILS General Overview: ISUUU books And YouTube videos
Introduction and general information for your course:
- Please read: Introduction and general guidelines in the 7 page document on ISSUU:
- For a glimpse into my [previous] Little Wings Studio: https://youtu.be/s7Oa8-0lKgk (1.47)
- Important Sanding instructions: https://youtu.be/yke3zQgZ3d8 (2.04)
In my course I recommend the use of white DAS air drying clay as other brands have different drying properties and may shrink too much which causes problems. DAS is very strong and can be used to sculpt very fine details.
Sculpting the Head
The videos and ISSUU documents are interchangeable between using glass eyes and creating sculpted eyes. I suggest you watch, and read both at each step of the sculpting process. The (2.04) indicate length of the videos Please make sure to watch the Youtube videos in HD
- Introduction; creating the base; sculpting the features; sculpted eyes; and alternative suggestion to add the head to a bust (in stead of making it into a puppet), 25 page document on ISSUU: https://issuu.com/littlewings/docs/making_the_head
- Starting the base of Head https://youtu.be/YUlf1zsD6X0 (10.08)
- Building up the face- (glass eyes) https://youtu.be/EvZbDlTKzHA (8.04)
- Building up the face- (sculpted eyes) https://youtu.be/R6FltP40F8w (7.26)
- Nose, lips (and eyebrows for puppet with glass eyes) https://youtu.be/b782Lj-t9TI (13.57)
- Sculpted eyes, and adding cheeks: https://youtu.be/zJ8-EYmFJek (11.05)
- Adding features & ears: https://youtu.be/5WlXQAozgzE (15.57)
- Finishing the head and neck: https://youtu.be/CYGp2X4jdKU (3.10)
Hands and Feet:
The videos and ISSUU books are interchangeable I suggest you watch, and read both at each step of the sculpting process. The (2.04) indicate length of the videos. Please make sure to watch the Youtube videos in HD. For a master class on these, please contact my mentor and teacher Marlaine Verhelst.
- Introduction and instructions on sculpting Hands and Feet in 23 Page document on ISSUU: https://issuu.com/littlewings/docs/hands_and_feet
- Sculpting “Easy Hands”: https://youtu.be/ElKWN_IOCjs (4.42)
- Sculpting Detailed Hands (1) base/fingers: https://youtu.be/wq9dH_cYKYs (17.3)
- Sculpting Detailed Hands (2) detailing: https://youtu.be/ANHqP5-ncRM (9.22)
- Sculpting the base for Feet/shoes: https://youtu.be/kGmY-hwtw-8 3.41
Body and Cross
- Introduction and instruction on wooden puppet body and cross, and how to animate your puppet, 23 Page document on ISSUU: https://issuu.com/littlewings/docs/puppet_body_and_cross
- See design of body used in the course below
- Assembling the wooden body https://youtu.be/ALjK0WxLnIM (8.14)
- Assembling puppet and cross, adding strings, and stringing up https://youtu.be/vOV235Tu4q8 (15.31)
- Animating your puppet https://youtu.be/cby6fJ9N6es (5.50)
- Alternative cross https://youtu.be/fg5p77Aa_ZY (1.08)
Painting and clothing/hair suggestions:
- Introduction to painting the clay parts, and some suggestions on clothing and hair styles; 13 Page document on ISSUU: https://issuu.com/littlewings/docs/painting_and_clothing
- Painting: https://youtu.be/RE4VdXNVWXI (21.08)
- Painting sculpted in eyes: https://youtu.be/qdHc-rZR7Ok (10.24)