Friday, February 24, 2017

The Creative Source

Forty years after I watched my dad work on a model ship, I recognize how my own attention to detail in my work is most likely influenced (or made part of my genes) by my dad.


One of the last creative projects my dad was involved in before his untimely death, was the making of a model ship, the HMS Bounty.
HMS Bounty model ship  by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship Jan Duyn

I remember my dad sitting at the table, the huge scaled drawing in front of him.
I remember how Every single bit was created by hand, from scratch. This was not a kit. All he had was a drawing.
I remember him in our small shed, standing at the work bench, cuting and moulded the thin layers of wood to create the body of the boat. Making the masts, the life boats, the ships' bell...
He even designed and made a lathe to be able to make the tiny canons.

The patience. The attention to detail.


HMS Bounty model ship small canon by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty canon for model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship canons  by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty canons for model ship created by Jan Duyn


The ship was never finished, but took pride of place in my mothers house until her own passing ten years ago. (The boat was left to me, but I have not been able to bring it over to Ireland, yet. It is in my brothers house now.)
What I did bring, as a token, are two of the small canons.
And I still have, forty years on, the two pots of paint my dad used for the ship.
to tiny pots of blue Enamel paint used for HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn


All these years later, I recognize how my own attention to detail in my work, and the ways I adapt tools, or find methods to be able to create what I want to create, are most likely influenced (or put into my genes) by my dad.

My dad was a copper smith and did incredible detailed work, like the photo I just found of the Wijkertoren (Church in his hometown in Holland). Unfortunatelly he ended up in a un-creative job to be able to provide for his family. It was a job in metal factory. A job he very much disliked. His skills were less appreciated (also in terms of salary) than the piece of paper younger colleagues had from college...
De Wijkertoren thophy made my Jan Duyn
The Wijkertoren, made by my dad in 1951
I can now see how he used this intricate creative project of the making of the Bounty to bring the much needed balance in his life. I can see this in my own life. Illness is not a place I like to spend to much time in/with... creativity is a great escape.


One of the last gift I received for my 14th birthday (almost a year before he passed away) was a manual fret saw, and 'cutting table' and clamp, which I could attach to the table. This set was used to cut out the body and limbs for my first ever puppet/marionette the year after he left us.
How life goes around in circles- in spirals. I still, or again, make puppets and often think about this lovely tool.

All I can say is, Thank You Dad!


HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship- ship's bell created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
life boats on the HMS Bounty model ship created by Jan Duyn
HMS Bounty model ship -life boats created by Jan Duyn


Further reading and links

2 comments:

Sue said...

This is extraordinary and beautiful. I greatly honour the dedication patience and skill of your father. How very precious that ship is.

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you Sue. My dad would have been proud to read your response. And humbled.