Friday, March 24, 2017

Launch of the CAP Awards 2017


What a 'goosebump-creating' combination: Writing and mental health awareness.


One day last September I turned on my computer and saw an email coming in with the shortlist of the first ever CAP Awards for self published authors. 

In short, the Carousel Aware Prize is a competition is to celebrate writers who self publish their books. All proceeds go to Aware, an Irish Charity who educates and empowers people to look after their mental health.

Reading through the email I saw that my Into the Light book was shortlisted under the non-fiction category.

If you could have seen me you would have laughed out loud.

To paint the picture:
I was sitting in my wheelchair at my desk.
As I got so excited to see my name on the list, I was literary jumping out of my chair, and landing back in it... if that makes sense.
I had to put the brakes on as I was afraid the chair- and me in it- would wheel itself out of the room, or out the window.

You know, it is Very Exciting Stuff to have one's book shortlisted!

The Gala Evening to announce the winners was held at the Teachers Club in Dublin. I made the journey down. Most of the shortlisted authors were present, as where a lot of their supporters and others interested in the written word.
The room was packed and buzzing with the excitement, and nervous anticipation by the short listed authors, as well as from the thought provoking speeches about mental health.  It was quite amazing to hear how many people are in some way touched by mental health issues.

Of course there was lots of talk about books too. And about publishing. And announcing the winners of each of the categories.

Although I was not the winner in my category, I am immensely proud to have been part of this exciting new journey for independent authors. 

We are all winners.

The writers - the committee- the judges and Aware!




Since that time it is quite hearth warming to have made so many new contacts with the other short listed writers, and also with editors, and others who were involved with the event, and to have been contacted by publishers of book and writing magazines.
Thank you all!  It is wonderful to have been acknowledged into this world of publishing.

The launch of the CAP Awards 201 is this Saturday  25th March 14.00 to 17.00 at Club Na Muinteoiri  36 Parnell Square West, Dublin. See HERE for a list of speakers and activities for the day.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to travel down, but I am certainly there in spirit.


Links and further reading


2 comments:

Sue said...

How wonderful, what an honour. Aware is just the sort of charity I believe in. My son has severe mental health challenges, he is currently in hospital.

Corina Duyn said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Wishing you and your son peace and wellbeing.