Monday, May 1, 2017

Taking back the power


Faced by illness, people routinely relinquish power over their own lives, 

by thinking they don’t have any.

A thought following yesterday's post, and leading up to an post with an edited version of email conversation I had a week or so ago with a young woman dealing with M.E.

When you become ill, you end up in this whirpool of dealing with doctors, with finding a diagnosis, and dealing with 'others' who don't believe you are actually ill. Wanting to find 'the cure'.
In this new world of instant access to new information, I think is complicated this very personal journey of illness.

Also, I think that there is an expectation to have the medical profession 'fix' us up. 
Of course with some illnesses, that is the case, but I whole heatedly belief that we have our own role to play in our recovery. May it be in terms of actual physical recovery, or finding ways to mentally deal with it all.

Taking ownership.
Ownership of your own experience.
Taking the bits and pieces of information which are right for you.
But live, 
livein the meantime.

page from Into the Light 


Text from page from Into the Light by Corina Duyn
inspired by the Twelve Step Program


Taking ownership 
of my reality 􏰙􏰊􏰚􏰂􏰀􏰍􏰛􏰂􏰅􏰆􏰚􏰀􏰂􏰚􏰀􏰛􏰏􏰂 
was the first step
towards wellbeing


I can stay in bed
while ill
or get as much as possible out of life 

while ill



My name is Corina Duyn
I am living with chronic illness 

No comments: