Friday, September 14, 2012

Really going to college

Following on from going to college:
After an amazingly turbulent week stuck in the whirlwinds of society and bureaucracy I learned that the funding I had hoped to secure (which seemed to be a absolute yes, months ago) was denied. I am still at a loss to fully understand why. The Department of Social Protection (DSP) (Social Welfare ) had requested clarification on the course level and the awarding body. What eventually came out was that the fact that the course was HETAC and not FETAC (H= Higher, F=Further Education) the DSP was not in a position to pay the grant. But as the same time, in other parts of the country the same DSP had contacted the college to advise prospective students that there was funding available under the very scheme I had applied under.
Confused yet?
I am...!

On Tuesday I decided that there was no way I would be able to fund college, travel and accommodation from my disability Allowance alone. The total expenditure would have been a quarter of my total income. I cancelled my application, with great sadness to be honest.

However I wasn't going to stop studying the subject of the course: Disability Studies, I would just do it on my own, or see how I could get a group together to study in our own time, in our own way.
I felt at piece with this, and found solace in my studio and in my creative ability.

But...
The day after making the decision to cancel and was moving on, I received an offer of total funding for the college fee... I had to think about it for a few hours, but in the end gratefully accepted the offer from this donor. I am not sure yet if I can reveal the source, but I am incredibly grateful for the lifeline handed to me.

When I asked the course coordinator to put me back on the list, she said that she had never taken me off it as she felt that funding would come through from some source or another and if it didn't that it was because I didn't want to do the course.
Now that is faith for you.

link to the full story: going to college

Also met with the O.T. this week. More about this in time to come.

ps... As always it is lovely to know that you stopped by to read my musing 
or follow my creative adventures. 
It would make my day if you leave a comment..
Many thanks & Lots of love Corina

3 comments:

john said...

Leaving a pebble (O) just to let you know I dropped by. Glad you are going to be able to study as you wanted x

Anonymous said...

hey corina
i am so happy for you.life goes in amazing circles,all your positive energy you allways sent out is coming back,fantastic!hope to see you soon
elke

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you John and Elke and all the others that have responded in other ways.
College life is about the start in 4 days time. At times, I must admit, I wonder 'what was I thinking' but I feel that I am on the right track and with all the support I am getting, in real terms, and very much in thought, I feel I can do it and will do the best I can.
Have been reading so much about the sunject it really has opened my mind.

Best wishes to you both and all my other reader
Corina