Saturday, February 4, 2017

natural sugar substitute for baking

Not an actual baking recipe this week, but a homemade natural sweetener which you might make and freeze in advance of next few baking recipes! 

As I avoid sugar in my diet, I have tried various alternative natural sweeteners over the years.
  • honey
  • rice syrup
  • concentrated apple juice 
  • agave syrup
The honey and Agave syrup I still find very sweet and mimic sugar, in terms of reaction on my sugar levels in my body.
If you do want to use the above, I recommend about one tablespoon of any of the above, in stead of two tablespoons of sugar.
I don't like very sweet food, so you might want to play around with quantity to suit your own taste.

My favourite however is my natural homemade sweetener


Recommended use is about two tablespoons in any baking recipe.
I make a batch of it in advance as it freezes well.

How to make:

saucepan with ingredience for homemade sugar substitute for baking: carrot, apricot and apple
homemade sugar substitute for baking

Put the following in a small saucepan:
1 medium size carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
7 un-sulphured apricots, cut into small pieces
1 apple,  peeled and cut into small pieces
enough water to cover 

Bring to the boil.
Simmer, uncovered, until carrots are soft. (About twenty minutes.)
Blend it into a soft paste with a blender. Mash if you don't have a blender.
saucepan with blended  homemade sugar substitute for baking: carrot, apricot and apple
Blended homemade sugar substitute for baking 
Leave it to cool and divide into three or four portions of two generous tablespoons each, onto sheets of clingfilm, wrap up and freeze.

Defrost well before use.

Next week's recipe will have this sweetener in it! Rye muffins!

Links and other recipes:

No comments: