Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dechen Shying, a place where my creativity moves into unexpected places


Prayer Flags at Dzogchen Beara
It has been already a few weeks since I am back from a stay at my beloved Dechen Shying at Dzogchen Beara, but my computer time has been taken up by working on my book project Into the Light.

Yet again it was a memorable week. 
It truly is an extraordinary place as I wrote here and here. You never know who you might meet, or what might happen.
For me it is also a place where my creativity seems to move into places I had not expected.
I was there to work on my book project and a head of a sculpture I had started recently.

The face emerged. Slowly.

I am fascinated by the fact that I use the same clay, the same method, the same tools, and yet the faces all turn out to have their very own personality. I was a little in awe of the face that came into being in this case. I let her happen.
Work in Progress © Corina Duyn 2014
One of the difficulties with staying at Dechen Shying... is that when I wake up I simply have to get up and watch the sunrise. Stunning every single time. No matter what the weather is like.
I snuggle up in a blanket and sit in the recliner chair in the conservatory off my room. Happy out!
sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean
At times I picked up some breakfast from the kitchen to eat in the conservatory, not wanting to miss the glorious views.

As always I rested lots in between work, took part in the guided meditations, if I got up in time... And chatted with guests and staff. ... or visited the cafe for overly delicious carrot cake...

even in the rain it is beautiful
One of the guests Margaret, brought me for a drive around the tip of the peninsula along Allihies. I had been told about the stunningly beautiful scenery. No word of a lie there. It was stunning. And I got see and smell the sea. Feel the wind. What a treat!

at a little beach near Allihies

the beach near Allihies
Peter Cornish who really is the person behind the whole story of Dzogchen Beara wrote a most wonderful memoir. Dazzled by Daylight The story is funny, extraordinary, trusting, heartwarming and written with such beautiful language. 
I am forever thankful that Peter and Harriet came to West Cork and bought this barren place and let it grow to what it is today.
Forever grateful.

I hope to go back early next year again, to further work on my book and art.
I can't wait.

See here for Irish Times  article  'Peter Cornish’s dream was to build a refuge from the mayhem.'

PS See here for my Christmas book offer, valid till 15th December 2014 


Into the Light has been supported by the Rehab Group Visual and Performing Arts Fund


ps. As I no longer have a Facebook or Twitter account (find it all too confusing...) 
but you think this Blog deserves to make a presence there, 
please feel free to link it on your page. Thank you!

No comments: