Thursday, January 19, 2017

remission and relapse, the cycle of M.E.


... relapses are made much worse by the fact that they follow temporary remissions, when we think, with the eternal optimism of well-being, that we have escaped the clutch of pain for good.
Kat Duff - The Alchemy of Illness 



page from Into the Light by artist and writer Corina Duyn, showing a broken mushroom and a quote about relapse in illness

Due to some amazing creative growth spurts in the past few weeks and last few days, and not always listening to my own wisdom about pacing, about doing everything in moderation, my body said No (Remember that character in Little Britain? ...the computer said no...).

Anyway the pain that I have been experiencing the past few days, and the 'crash' yesterday is not a flu (as I thought) but most likely M.E. sticking its ugly head up again.

Fun, and creative adventures still need to taken in moderation.

See you tomorrow!

For now, I leave you with page from my lnto the Light book which reminds me of my own wisdom and of that by Kat Duff: .. relapses are made much worse by the fact that they follow temporary remissions, when we think, with the eternal optimism of well-being, that we have escaped the clutch of pain for good.


page from Into the Light



















text from page: 

Moderation

Everything

in moderation

talking walking

reading writing

resting eating
could

curtail

the cycle of

 Relapse and Remission 



Be well my friend, and thanks for your company today and every day during the past few weeks (and years for some!)

4 comments:

Therese Doherty said...

Thank you for this post, Corina. I've been going through something of a relapse myself, for several months now, so I'm needing to (re)learn to go slowly and steadily. It's not easy after a 'good period' when I got a lot done creatively. But I know there must be something good that will come out of this … eventually. And Kat Duff's book has helped me. I'm thinking of writing a bit about it on my blog soon, as it is one of those books that is utterly brilliant. I really want to share some of the insights in it.

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you Therese.
sorry to hear that you are going through a challenging time yourself too. I think we are are always learning... And yes, something good will come from it all. Most of my work, inclusding may last book 'Into the Light came into beng, as a book in a box, because of a replapse. A big one...

Kat Duff's book is one of those gems I read in preparation for Into the Light.
I am looking forward to read your thoughts on Kat's book-The Alchemy of Illness, and if you like, you can repost that here on my blog, as I have come to understand that we are very much on the one wavelength with our story of illness, art and writing.

Best wishes

Theresa's blog for this who would like to explore it http://offeringsfromthewellspring.blogspot.ie

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear your body is saying no at the moment. Mine is there too because I went to my book club, which is made up of a group of close women friends. It's one of the few things that I rest up for and take the payback for because I love it so much. I don't always get there but always hope to.
The rest of the time I try to pace well and have improved in my pacing ability, until those days when I rebel against myself.x

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you Diane.
Our bodies are full of talk... Our job seems to be to understand what it is saying, through all its coded language.
Be well, and pace, and keep going to your book club!
X