Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Dentist Chair and me

Yesterday I had to go to the dentist.  A small piece of one of my back teeth had broken off the day before.  "Wear and tear" the dentist called it.
I didn't realize that I hadn't been to the dentist for almost 6 years. I thought it was about two...

Anyway, although I was offered an anaesthetic to fix my tooth, I decided against it. I know the side-effects of having an anaesthetic while dealing with ME/CFS. I rather endure a few seconds of pain than the possibility of a week(s) of relapses.

To be honest the treatment of building up my tooth again, with some drilling and lots of 'poking' was more sense of 'discomfort' in stead of intense pain. I know what pain can be like. This came on the scale of four out of ten. ME/CFS (Fibromyalgia) can be eight out of the 10.
As my teeth needed cleaning too after an absence of dentist visits for 6 years, I thought I might as well get that over with too.

During this ordeal, I concentrated on my breathing, as I do in meditation. At one point I found myself looking down at myself, and the dentist poking in my mouth, as if it wasn't really happening to me.  Peculiar, but comfortable in a way. And kind of funny too.
This worked until a painful spot was hit, and one of my legs would jump up without my control. The peculiarities of one's body...

Overall though it felt that it was not my teeth that were enduring the fibration of tools, but my brain.
It was as if my brain was being scraped, poked and polished, by an enthusiastic party of little man with powerful tools digging away at my brain.
With the unfortunate result that I was barely able to get off the dentist chair.
That I had to 'slump' onto the couch in the waiting room (where the next patient watched me ...  I explained to him that I was not feeling like this because of treatment, but because of me!). 
That I was feeling so unwell, that I had to leave my mobility scooter outside (miss independence)  and be brought home by the assistant by car.  Thank you for caring for me!!
That I spend pretty much the rest of the day on the couch.
That I still have a pounding headache and was up in the middle of the night because of it.

** The bright side is that I have a full set of clean teeth again, no bits missing! **

sculpture by Corina Duyn, of small figure sleeping in a pod.
resting!  'Aerial' © Corina Duyn 2014
Talk to you tomorrow, hopefully with a clear head again.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminded me of my last dentist experience, before I knew I had M.E. My health was going downhill and I had tooth infection after tooth infection and antibiotics to try to combat the infections.I remember the final visit to the dentist was very painful and extremely uncomfortable and I sat there with tears running down my cheeks trying to keep breathing, feeling really ill. The Dentist was surprised that it was so difficult for me.
When she was finished I had to be helped out of the chair, driven home and went straight to bed. This was like the last straw for my body.

Corina Duyn said...

Sorry so sorry to hear that Diane.
Be well

Eunice Greer said...

I had a similar experience, so I feel your pain. I recently went to the dentist after years. I'd always gotten a great review, but this time I had four cavities! She asked if I wanted all done, or just two to start. Being a tough chick I said all four. I too used my meditation techniques. It's amazing how that helps!

Corina Duyn said...

Thanks Eunice,
Sorry you had to go through this, but it is intersting how meditation worked.
You were very brave. If you had done just the two, you probably never went back!
Best wishes