Saturday, January 21, 2017

Wheat, dairy and sugar free Rye Bread

When I was still well, as in not ill with ME. a different kind of well... Saturdays used to be for baking. With that in mind, I decided that my Saturday Blog is a baking blog. My aim is to share recipes which are (mainly):

 Sugar free. Yeast free. Wheat Free. Dairy free. 
But still ABSOLUTELY delicious!!


First a thought, not baking related, but I just want to say that my thoughts are with my American readers who wake up to the knowledge that their new president has, within a few hours of taking office already tried to dismantle 'Obama Care'.  I can not imagine the worry that has brought to many. All I can do is that I have you in my thoughts.

Baking...
I love baking. Much more so than cooking. And to accommodate my changed tolerance for certain foods, I have adapted many recipes over the years. 

My first offering here is a Rye Bread. It is a bread I made for years, and many people (even those not in need of a wheat free diet) have asked me for the recipe. It has gone to many countries by now.
Rye Bread. Wheat, dairy and sugar free
Wheat, dairy and sugar free Rye Bread

And... It is very simple to make.

In fairness, I do get help with the mixing. 
My job is to put all the ingredients in the bowl.
Observe the mixing. Set the timer .... something that is easily forgotten... Take it out of the oven. And eat it!

It freezer really well, so I slice it when cold, wrap slices in clingfilm and freeze so I can have a fresh slice of bread at any time.

I usually make two loaves, or one of this bread and one currant/nut bread. The recipe will follow next week

Rye Bread

Mix these dry ingredients in a large bowl
2 cups of Rye Flour 
1 cup of gluten free flour, or spelt flour
1+ 1/2 cup of oat flakes 

1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Optional:
1 tablespoon of nori bake which is a powdered seaweed
And you can add seeds of your choice

Mix the following
200 ml water
200 ml soyamilk (or goatsmilk)
1 tablespoon of plain yogurt (or good squeeze of lemon juice)

Stir and add to dry ingredients, gently mixing it all together.

It should be quite a wet dough! As one of my home helps used to say, "it is all in the mixing" Don't overdo it.

Put in a greased bread tin.
Place in Pre-heated oven: Gas 7, 220 C, 425 F.
About 45 minutes.

Cool on wire rack and ENJOY!


4 comments:

Aran Edmonds said...

Looking forward to baking this Corina, always looking for a nice gluten free bread..I love my bread!

Corina Duyn said...

Enjoy! more to come!!
Next week a fruit/nut gluten free bread. Have muffins, apple cake and more...

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Now your recipe has reached Mauritius!
Can I use ordinary milk? Almond milk?

Corina Duyn said...

Oh brilliant.
Thanks Janet.

Yes, you can use ordinary milk.
You can also use buttermilk, bit in that case, do not add yoghurt or lemon juice.
I have not experimented with almond milk, so wouldn’t know.

Enjoy!